permaculture - Permaculture and higher education

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jeff Hall" <JRHALL@gwgate.lib.iastate.edu>
  • To: <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <genest@together.net>
  • Subject: Permaculture and higher education
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:22:53 -0500

My take is that academia has been coevolving with the reductionistic
worldview for centuries, and holistic alternatives, be it health, education,
or whatever you're talking about, are defined out of the picture. Sometimes a
few radicals can bring something under the tent and set in on an edge, but it
always seems to be a very tentative existence.
Ecology as a field is a bit of an exception, but it has largely been defined
as a very passive area, studying wilderness but not much about human cultures
everyday impacts.
There is a lot of talk about "learning communities" here at Iowa State
University. It'll be interesting to see if that movement has any more ability
to work its way in than previous ideas.
It all reminds me of "My dinner with Andre", where Andre talks about the old
forest protector who equates New York City with a concentration camp where
the inmates are the guards also (its a great quote, find the video or
screenplay). The university is a special "concentration camp", being both the
place that absorbs and neutralizes the most intelligent and creative young
people, and doing much of the technological development of the means of
sluising and uptaking nature into the industrial machine.

-Jeff

>>> "Claude Genest" <genest@together.net> 05/31/00 09:06PM >>>
Ava, I'm pretty new to PC. Tell me, how do academics and Ag Schools view
Permaculture? I can't understand why there aren't more people on board. Why
do youy suppose that is?
Does PC have a bad rap? and if so, why?