permaculture - Re: FW: Soy test

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: FW: Soy test
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:56:7

On 05/29/00, ""Emily A. Noble" <guinep@theriver.com>" wrote:

> DNA scans to test for genetically modified material in its
> soybeans....

> Planting any genetically-tampered grain is technically illegal in
> Brazil. But farmers in Rio Grande do Sul state have planted super-seeds
> from the U.S. Monsanto Co. biotechnology unit of Pharmacia Corp.,
> smuggled in from Argentina where they are legal.The presence of
> transgenic beans in Brazil's third largest soybean state may throw the
> industry's sales to health-conscious European buyers in jeopardy. Some
> foreign markets have prized Brazilian products because they are GM-free...

Emily, you'll just love this one.

When my father was first diagnosed with cancer, I enrolled myself, husband,
mom and dad in a seminar at one of our local health food stores regarding
'Cancer and Diet'. I had already given dad many books, articles, etc. to
scan so that he could make a well-informed decision of what his next course
of action would be.

The seminar leader was a Certified Dietician, NOT a nutritionist. Do you
know she actually recommended genetically altered soy products, because
they're better for you? Supposedly, there was some 'problem' with soybeans
as they are in nature. As a natural health practitioner, I was up in arms
over this one. Needless to say, the healthfood store no longer sends me
workshop and seminar information, I guess they don't value my presence.
But then again, I no longer value their info and education. But Dad's
doing GREAT!

Blessings,
Ava

  • FW: Soy test, Emily A. Noble, 05/29/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: FW: Soy test, Ava Devenport, 05/30/2000