permaculture - Re: Sustainability

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: eric + michiko <emstorm@metro.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sustainability
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 06:06:59 -0700

I posted this back in September, and the "midpoint between devistation and
regeneration" idea was inspired by an article in the Permaculture Activist
that came out around then by . . . can't recall. Maybe some one can fill
in the missing pieces.

This definition still works pretty well for me.

Eric:

At 07:49 99/09/01 -0700, Eric Storm wrote:
> Prompted by the recent definition of sustainable, I decided to give it a
> try. With this definition it is obvious that the goal is not sustainable,
> but invigoration. Let me know what you think.
>

> Sustainable is one side of a continuum, unsustainable the other. They are
> divided by a point in the middle. At the extremes are devastation and
> invigoration. Sustainable means that the system in question will continue
> to function at a level of vitality relative to the degree of benefit or
> destruction and disruption caused by one's actions. Unsustainable means
> that the destruction and disruption of one's actions will not allow the
> system to continue; the system will progressively degrade, at a speed
> relative to the level of destruction and disruption of one's actions, and
> at some time cease to function.
>

> I hope this leaves you invigorated ; )
>
> Eric Storm

  • Re:Sustainability, Dawn Shepard, 05/29/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Sustainability, eric + michiko, 05/29/2000