permaculture - Re: Lawn Order

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lawn Order
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 00 14:51:13 -0700

Now the end result is fine, but if you have no idea of how to get there,
learning the methods can help make the end result possible.
Sure, an unmown lawn will be more diverse- but a mown strip in an unmown lawn
may be more diverse yet. Ya won't have those tasty little English daisies in
an unmown lawn.
I've got a reel mower for the "greens", a brace of scythes for the "fairways"
and "rough" and a few kamas for the corners and 'round the trees. Scythes and
kamas let you leave the really fat thistles/radicchio chicorys or other
desireable colonizers, while yielding a harvest that's easy to gather with a
hay fork.
Lawn is a primary source of mulch/biomass for my other ag systems.
As far as the neighbors-
well, they can always see I have SOME areas trimmed like they like it-
(usually the parts right in their face!) And the flowers always impress them.
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)929-7152 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

  • Re: Lawn Order, rick valley, 05/26/2000