permaculture - Re: Grape Expectations from the Leopold Center (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Grape Expectations from the Leopold Center (fwd)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:50:32 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:10:49 -0700
From: Debra Lippoldt <dlippoldt@earthlink.net>
To: lmbauer@unlnotes.unl.edu
Cc: sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu, leopold@exnet.iastate.edu
Subject: Re: Grape Expectations from the Leopold Center

Thanks for sharing this. I think it is a great reminder that what is
isn't always what has to be. Without getting into a discussion of the
merits of growing for wines versus food crops, I think there are many
applications for looking back at history as far as agriculture is
concerned. Let's look back at what was being produced in our own
regions before the commodification of agriculture. Consider the value
of reclaiming that diversity of production.

Joan Gussow and Marci Herrin did a great study of just what was possible
to grow in one of the western states (Montana or Wyoming- sorry I forget
which) to show that it was possible to eat a nutritious diet based on
largely local and seasonal foods that could be grown there. They based
some of the research on what had been grown there historically.

Deb Lippoldt
Portland, Oregon

  • Re: Grape Expectations from the Leopold Center (fwd), Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/25/2000