permaculture - RE: Designing Sustainable Community Course- Mexico

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <John-Schinnerer@data-dimensions.com>
  • To: 'permaculture' <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Designing Sustainable Community Course- Mexico
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:56:49 -0700

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From: Skye [mailto:skye@tortuga.com]

>...Everyone interested
>in sustainable development believes that it is important to involve the
>local people in the decision making process, but how?

Implicit in this "problem" is that "the local people" were not the
instigators, were not "interested in sustainable development." Something
(starting with a "decision making process") is being pushed on them from
"the outside" (wherever that may be in a given context). I say pushed on
them because it is also implicit in the above that some decision making
process is to take place and "the local people" are also not the instigators
of that process, or they would already be involved in it).

So...how do we invite them to be interested, empowering them to be the ones
who initiate their own actions towards sustainability?

John Schinnerer