permaculture - Re: Prickly Pear Question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "sal" <sals@rain.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Prickly Pear Question
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:09:44 -0700

my friend who is not around now use to take weeds and brush the pears before
picking them but I could never master that. I would take a towel or
something for the pads and gloves for the fruit. I use to feed the pads to
mealworms and feed the worms to the chickens. the little worms loved the
pads and I would go through a few of them. so the worms eat the old pads
and we eat the young pads and the fruit. nice plant the list just of uses
for prickly pear goes on and on.