permaculture - Re: [Fwd: Purple Power - RealAge Tip of the Day]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mikal Jakubal <mjakubal@asis.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Purple Power - RealAge Tip of the Day]
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 21:39:41 -0700

These things just hit our local supermarket. Even though they weren't
organic, I bought some to try just 'cuz they look cool, especially sliced.
But they tasted awful, IMO--probably because they weren't organic. Carrots
are one of those things that just about anyone in a blind taste test will
say taste better organically grown.

>The article indicates that seed is not available, but is that the last
>word on the subject?

Nope. I bought two bunches--they conveniently come with tops and all--and
they are now in pots where I hope they will go to seed. They weren't worth
eating--see above! The little tag says something to the effect of
"unauthorized propagation prohibited." When I see corporations or
government institutions patenting living things, it's bad enough. But when
they try patenting something developed at a university, or government lab,
or through other tax-funded research, I feel an obligation to defy patent
laws. When I get the seeds, I'll give them away to whoever wants them. Of
course, if the second generation still doesn't taste good, I won't grow
them again! I'm assuming that these purple carrots are simply the result of
classical breeding, but I would like to know for sure that they're not in
any way genetically modified.

Mikal