permaculture - Re: Zone 6 and zones in general

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "SEED PEACE" <seedpeace@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Zone 6 and zones in general
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:36:18 PST

From: "Myk Rushton" <permaculture@wave.co.nz>
To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:23:09 +1300

Seriously though I believe that the addition of further zones to the
original 5 is an example of how permaculture and its practices are evolving.
As you said zone 0 was added on to the original 5 (It is not mentioned in Pc
1, 2 or in Introduction to Pc but is mentioned in the Design Manual).

Also, looking back at the original definition of zones it was about energy
efficiency, the closest zones being the ones that required the most energy
input. I personally prefer Robin Clayfield description of zones in her book
You Can Have Your Permaculture And Eat It Too. "The concept of zones is
about the placement of elements in relation to the importance, priority and
number of visits needed for each element". To me the zone of greatest
importance that has the highest priority and requires the greatest number of
visits is zone 00 - me! Without continual frequent visits to myself the rest
of my system falls apart. Next is zone 0 my house, again it takes careful
planning to ensure my energy is used efficiently. After that follow the
standard 5 zones as originally described in Pc 1 and 2. After that comes
zone 6, that place where I retire to in day dreams or times of stress when I
just shut off!

I fully resonate with this explanation of zones, and have been independently describing the concept in a very similar manner.
Thank you for your input Myk.

-Marco, California/Costa Rica