permaculture - phase change for solar heat storage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eric Nielsen" <plato@avalon.net>
  • To: "permaculture digest" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <greenbuilding@crest.org>
  • Subject: phase change for solar heat storage
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:10:08 -0600

Listers --

I recall some interest in early solar heating design re: using mass walls
made of material which changes phase (from solid to liquid) at slightly
above the desired ambient temperature (e.g. 90-120 deg F). Theoretical
advantage here is that by taking advantage of the latent heat of fusion,
much more heat could be stored in a much smaller volume of storage (smaller
when compared to equivalent energy being stored with a change in sensible
heat without phase change).

This certainly made sense to me at the time; has this progressed anywhere
since I studied the concept maybe 15 years ago??

TIA --- Eric

  • phase change for solar heat storage, Eric Nielsen, 01/12/2000