permaculture - Re: oldest forest info

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Abdon" <jabdon@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: oldest forest info
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:30:26 PST

The last Ice Age ended about 14,000 years ago. As the glaciers receded, equatorial (at that time quite cool, as was the rest of the planet) regions rapidly evolved into our present day rainforests. These rainforests exists on extremely thin layers of top soil on glacial till. In the higher latitudes, few places existed that were not covered by deep ice.

Forest land is comonly held to be dense canopies of tall deciduous or evergreen trees. The reality is that joshua trees, manzanita groves, and other species (including arctic tundra and high desert chapparell) qualify for the term 'forest'.