permaculture - Re: permaculture digest: December 08, 1999

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture digest: December 08, 1999
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 99 12:58:11 -0700

>>seawater intrusion has caused many women to abandon their
>>taro patches.. what can they do?
>
>There are people doing restoration work on lo'i (wetland taro terraces), and
>fish ponds, in the Hawaiian islands...some of them might have some useful
>information. I don't have any direct contacts for such projects, but you
>might try asking Burt Lum (webmaster@kahoolawe.org) of the Protect
>Kaho'olawe 'Ohana ( http://www.brouhaha.net/ohana/ ). Also try Pualani
>Kanahele at Hawai'i community college (puahele@hawaii.edu).
>
>John Schinnerer
I think the problem is very different; Palau is a lower, limestone island;
wells and acceleration of rain runoff in Karst topography combined with a
slight increase in sealevel would of course create conditions right for salt
intrusion. In Hawaii the taro terraces are much higher above sealevel. There
may be no quick fix in Palau.
-Rick Valley

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)929-7152 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

  • Re: permaculture digest: December 08, 1999, rick valley, 12/09/1999