permaculture - RE: Ashes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ashes
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:46:45 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, John Schinnerer wrote:

> >...Inner bark of cottonwood, paperbark
> >birch and dryer lint all make good fire starters if you don't want to
> >collect fine twigs. Mike Miller
>
> If any synthetic fabrics go into that dryer, I'd pass on burning the dryer
> lint...

That was certainly helpful advice, for sure. Breathing smoke from burning
plastic can make you sick, give you a headache or cause respiratory
distress, i.e. asthma, or all three. Also never burn pressure treated
lumber or wood with lead-based paint on it - these are especially big
no-nos.

  • Ashes, Jeffrey Newman, 11/20/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Ashes, mmiller, 11/20/1999
    • RE: Ashes, John Schinnerer, 11/22/1999
    • RE: Ashes, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 11/22/1999
    • Ashes, Jeffrey Newman, 11/23/1999
    • Re: Ashes, Permacltur, 11/24/1999