permaculture - Re: composting toilets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: composting toilets
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:50:14 -0500 (EST)

Mark Lomas:

This thread was posted to the permaculture mailing list
and has aroused my curiousity about something I have been meaning to ask
about, namely:

Regarding reed bed wastewater tratment systems:

1) are they used exclusively for treating grey water,
i.e. from laundry, bath and dish washing
or

2) for all household sewage, including toilet

If not used for 2) what modifications would be needed to
adapt them for that purpose

3) if 1) is the case, could reed beds be coupled in serial
with a conventional concrete, below ground (though in this case probably
would need to be above ground) septic tank, the kind usually connected to
a leach field using perforated drain pipe?
The septic tank would anaerobically digest the solids so that a reedbed
system could handle such input; OR would the concrete septic tank need to
be replaced by system of partitioned open tanks, possibly some portion of
which or all of which would have to exist in a greenhouse or sunspace - a
unit that would contain a variety of lifeforms in an aquaculture or
aquaponic system to predigest the solids prior to final purification by a
reedbed system connected in serial with it?

Here's the thread: