permaculture - Re: Sustainability: Aa brief definition by John Ikerd

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "matthew sullivan" <funcorporation@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Sustainability: Aa brief definition by John Ikerd
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 0:31:32

"Time to demonstrate, educate and convince others of the value of simple
living and living close to nature."

Lawrence. This not a horn-blowing session on my part at all: I have
recently made the decision to simplify my life, to move to the country in
northern New South Wales in Australia and start growing organic vegetables
and fruits - I have no experience but a burning desire to start living my
life in the country (yes I know there's a lot of hard work involved - my
learning curve is actually more an overhang, truth be told, but i'm going
in with my eyes wide open).
Right now, i work in the financial markets. My clients are all brokers,
dealers yadda yadda - they're the wealthy people, the drivers of mass
consumption habits (as i see it at least - we could all argue this point
til we're blue in the face, but hopefully you'll get my drift..) Anyway, my
question relates to your above statement: it seems the method is sound -
demonstration, education, convincing. But how on Earth are we going to
convince the consumerist culprits that the simple life is the way to live -
even writing that i make myself feel dubious of that statement: it's almost
like saying "come in, the water's fine" and i'm on the shore thinking
"yaha".
This is a really big thing for me - it's obvious we're taking liberties
with our Earth, and it's obvious that the Earth will be around for a hell
of a lot longer than we will, no matter *how* we (as a civilisation) live
our collective lives. But we require fundamental changes in consumer habits
(for a start!) if we want our grandchildren to be able to play in sunshine
the way we did when were kids.
So again - how are we going to get through to that demographic that i
observe every day of my life? - the one with huge disposable income,
irresponsible spending habits, the one that advertisers love to reach, the
ones who drive the BIGGER cars, buy the BIGGER house with the BIGGER TV in
every room?? And what about the demographic that aspires to be like this
group?
I'm sure all of us who think about such things have our own plan as to how
we're going to impact the world, small or large; and i'm sure it's probably
due to my inexperience in this industry (for want of a less loaded word)
that i'm not aware of global initiatives/lobbying to make a major change.
BUT WHERE CAN I FIND LIKE MINDED PEOPLE TO COMMUNICATE IDEAS TO? i have a
Favourites list of some 200-odd websites, each dedicated and devoted to
contributing to this shift in habits - but is there some central location
on the web you all hang out at? am i here!?
please help - this is doing my head in a bit...