permaculture - Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:19:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999 FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:

> I really don't intend the island to be very large...perhaps only 10*15'
> with
> irregular gently sloping sides? Is that size OK? would you need to make it
> larger? for other reasons?

Instead of the island, which Darren says might compromise the integrity
of the pond design you could build a few large floating rafts as planters
(hydroponic) for growing certain crops. Great for some wildlife wishing to
languish in the sun or have better vantage point for catching insects for
food. There is literature describing construction and maintenance of these
floating, harvestable gardens.