permaculture - Re: Need tree/guild suggestions ASAP

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Abdon" <jabdon@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Need tree/guild suggestions ASAP
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:41:56 -0700

The northern reach of the California Condor, you are. I have photos snapped
in my youth of one that spent a single night each year sleeping in the 'huge
old eucalyptus' trees growing in our backyard. That was way down the coast
from your place in then rural Orange County (Garden Grove). The Condor
family, like yours, is trying to make a comeback on this Coast. Tears of
sorrow choked me as I read your letter out loud to Barbara, and with joy we
sat together and recounted our various excursions into your neck of the
woods over the years. We have been witness to the wholesale destruction of
California, and I am no longer able to go to go to the home of my youth for
the heartache it causes.

As the two of us recall, your area is kind of like a pow-pow of guildships,
constantly changing back and forth. A veritable Jacquard Weave of guilds
ranging from Old Growth to parking lot. Constructing a successful associate
guild (or bridge guild) will be strongly influenced by the altitude, the
overall incline, and the fall line (compass direction of average slope) in
addition to the climatologic properties you mention. I have seen varieties
of Eucalyptus that grow in near zero water. The amazing thing about the
southern most reaches of the Pacific Northwest is how steep and rapidly
changing the rain forest there can be. Turn the corner into the shade and
leave a coastal chaparral forest and enter the heart of the Old Redwoods.

The Khurais Bedouins living in the Rub-Al-Kali Dessert of Saudi Arabia come
to mind in contemplating your situation: a unilateral action by a government
sanctioned entity committed violence on an innocent, lovingly created
human-centric guild. I can speak with their authority here: an alliance with
the enemy can be advantageous if not honorable. They would buy as much time
as they could. Pick out the most valuable and healthiest specimens they had
to offer, move them to an isolation nursery, evaluate the root condition of
each plant and tend to any need. If these plants don't turn out to be the
ones you want when your design is finished, then sell/trade/give them to
others using the 'real soon now' website. Markets are learning to grow there
own virtual communities and why not us.

Are humans the only surviving member of this guild? If not, develop a rough
estimation of the percentage distribution of surviving/survivable members.
Best make a little hand drawn map (use a simple paint program, save it as a
black & white image so it will be as lightweight as possible). Walk the
property and record in your own meaningful way what you see and
interrelationships you find in what is left in the aftermath... later on
this map become food for the magical software creature hiding out there
somewhere in virtual mists...

But offhand, go for fast growing, native northern chaparral members or
nearest cousins. And of course, hives of bees at least at first. Sew the
ground immediately with something cheap that will keep the thistle down
during initial years of guild construction. Have a vision of the place 200
years from now. Up here, in the Rain Shadow of the Olympics, the long term
climate increasing fits the pattern of global warming, and if the folks down
there think its an issue, then look South down the Pacific Coast to The Big
Sur for your inspiration. Get your best shot from the power company for now,
but there is usually plenty of time marked in years before you need to put
them into the ground.

I didn't realize 'huge old eucalyptus' trees grew that far north. The
introduction of the species into North America was under the hand of the
Irvine family of turn of the century Orange County, California
(http://www.csg-i.com/oils/html/eucalyptus_trees_-_irvine.html). The twist?
Literally in the Tree and in the plan was a fungus member of the eucalyptus'
new guild. A clue you must contemplate here while indroducing anything new
to the area. If my memory serves me well there are over one hundred
varieties of eucalyptus of essentially any maximum mature height you need.
If the tree was good enough for the last flights of the free Condor, one of
its cousins may be good enough for the family place. From 'Ten Popular Trees
for Arid Zone Landscaping or "Xeriscape"' at
http://www.landscapeandsprinklers.com/trees_xerisc.html we learn:

"Eucalyptus: (shown: Eucalyptus leucoxylon "Rosea"; common name White
Ironbark) The mighty evergreen Eucalyptus tree comes in many varieties and
is mentioned frequently in text from the ancient world: Turkey, Egypt,
Israel, etc. Most varieties have a blue-green or gray-green foliage with
flowers ranging from white, red, yellow, orange and every hue in between.
Size from large shrub (15' h x 10' w) to full tree, 45' h x 25' w. Growth
rate is moderate, and leaf litter is minimal. They have no thorns and are
hardy into the 15 to 25 degree range."

I am studying the search engine of NWS Headquarters of the National Weather
Service at URL http://www.websites.noaa.gov/guide/government/w1.html.
Looking for the climatologic members of the guild.

And of course don't forget the good old US Government's Bureau of Land
Management: their internal search engine is a veritable gold mine for data
miners like me. These guys have been working very hard to centralize the
data required to properly design a long-term visionary plan. Look at
http://www2.az.blm.gov/compass. I used "soil" and "rainfall" and "sunlight"
to develop a very cool hypertext page pertinent to your realm. There is hope
shining brightly 'cause the first returned reference was to Biological Soil
Crusts with decent pics of Biological Soil Communities (BLM's phrasing, so
hey BLM... congratulations on priorities (or was it the sorting that did
it?)). We all should constantly watch for development projects and gain
permission to remove soil crust communities for relocation to places just
like yours. Where is Roosevelt's WPA when ya' need it, anyway?

I will send this, search your issues at the BLM's sight, and re-reply to
this message tonight.

Sometimes at night I dream of a list of guilds and their interrelationships
as comprehensive as the human genome project and see that as something at
least as valuable. But Shoeless Joe Jackson (at least in the movie) was
right: build it, and they will come.

(@@) johnAbdon jabdon@hotmail.com