permaculture - [Permaculture] "Forward" and "Back"/ Discussing Solutions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: eric + michiko <emstorm@metro.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [Permaculture] "Forward" and "Back"/ Discussing Solutions
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:41:00 -0700

Again, as I said on 7/2:
> I agree, and didn't mean to imply that using large machinery is never a
> good idea. It's the "sometimes" in your statement that I am pointing out.
> There are times when large machinery is not a good idea. I specifically
> have small projects in mind done by people who are intending to "do Pc" but
> don't think much about how they carry out their desgin.

I don't think we are limited to "everyone must use large machinery" _or_
"everyone must use hand tools". Each has its place and time. Your
experiences in Africa have lead you to believe that they are in need of
some major work and "shovel technology is not an option". I have not been
there, but from what I have heard, you may be right.

I guess I was just looking for some sign that you are not saying that
"industrial machinery is _always_ better". And I suppose you already have:

Scott first wrote:
> Just as sometimes allopathic radical surgery is more effective to save the
> patient than say herbal medicine, the same is true with big equipment.

and today:
> Though I sympathize with Luddism in some contexts this isn't one of them.

Eric Storm