permaculture - RE: treated wood

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kirk Hanson <permawest@olywa.net>
  • To: "'jocal23@yahoo.com'" <jocal23@yahoo.com>, "permaculture@envirolink.org" <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: RE: treated wood
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 08:49:31 -0700

If you're planning to build a grape or kiwi arbor I would highly
encourage
to consider using materials that will endure for the long term. Grapes and
kiwis can live well up to 100 years and grow to massive proportions putting
on hundreds of pounds of food annually. Personally, I wouldn't use any
type of organic material for the trellis; no wood, no bamboo, etc. They
may last 10-20 years but inevitably they will lose integrity and collapse.
Nothing nastier than trying to put a trellis back up under an enormous
vining plant. I would opt for metal myself. 2" galvanized pipe and/or
welded angle iron can be made to look elegant if you turn an artistic eye
towards the design.
Just a thought...

Best,
Kirk Hanson