permaculture - Re: Sustainable, Non-exploitive, Space Exploration Project, SeekingBoard Can...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "vpage" <vpage@nucleus.com>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sustainable, Non-exploitive, Space Exploration Project, SeekingBoard Can...
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:57:56 -0600

Just gentlly
One should be aware of the energy consumption difference between an animal
and plant.
Generally the sun can only absorb 1% of the sun's energy
the plant accumulates 1% of that
raising an animal reduces the energy saved to 1% again
so 1% of 1% of 1% is useable and the rest is unrecoverable
-That is why there are satistics on how much rangeland one cow needs or the
feed conversion rate discussion
-Clearly to intercept at the plant level creates less strain on the earth's
resources
-but your point about imported food is well taken-the environmental
footprint of every decision has to be measured-growing your own food is a
reasonable and partial solution-growing it responsibly is even better
-if every person in the world consumed energy as we in NA so we would need 5
planets to sustain
-our average environmental footprint is 7 acres
-sooner or later other people will want to consume as we do or we are all
going to have to cooperate in a sustainable solution
VPage