permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Re: Lead bioremediation in gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: haroldw@alternatives.com (Harold Waldock)
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Re: Lead bioremediation in gardens
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:04:34 -0700

Hello Unleesh:

>what about yes, incorporating the lead into timber through growing trees,
>
>but
>
>continuing to grow gardens, but MAKING SURE to post -- in wood, and with
>lasting paint, where the lead concentrations are?

Cast the sign in stone or iron big and deep so nobody can move it. But the
real issue is that you are playing on the edge of high levels. I said
don't. Your real problem is a) lead is mobile in the water table b) there
is no safe dose c) you can't print enough signs because there is somebody
bound to have a language you did not print a sign for. Painted signs on
wood outdoors usually only last a few years unless very carefully done.
d)The problem in community gardens is that people usually avoid mulch and
grow annuals and leaves such as lettuce. e) people steal fruit ie tomatoes
or cucumber so gardeners don't grow fruit. f) Community gardeners don't
like people telling them what to do.They do what they want to do and there
is usually no way to stop them. Even you seem resistant to my suggestions
for example.

It is only useful to grow food in such a situation (high levels) if it
meant that people would starve on the short term with out it. My garden
will not have high levels only low levels (I have 3x your rainfall and 2x
my normal rainfall in the last 2 years) But I will test for hot spots such
as paint chips near the house.

Harold Waldock
Edible Landscape Creations
Vancouver Permaculture Network

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu

  • [permaculture] Re: Re: Lead bioremediation in gardens, Harold Waldock, 04/21/1999