permaculture - [permaculture] seabuckthorn & the the vitamin C invasion

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: miekal and <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [permaculture] seabuckthorn & the the vitamin C invasion
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:37:07 -0600

Ive got about 25 unsexed sea buckthorns I grew from seed last year,
ready to go in the ground. My initial reason for being excited about
them was that Chris Evans of Jajarkot Permaculture had missionary zeal
regarding their widespread dissemination when he presented a
permaculture course here 5 years ago. I have since heard many warnings
about their invasive nature. How fast do they spread, are others on the
list growing them, does it make sense to plant them in the middle of a
fairly compast 2 acre demonstration or are they better put along
roadside, eroded areas etc, or perhaps in a goatbrowse area? They (the
seabuckthorns) are asking to be planted, would appreciate any comments.
Do they spread by suckering or by seed? If anybody has received the new
one green world (formerly northwoods) catalogue, they are likewise
touted as another miracle plant, big pictures of kids drinking glasses
of this newfangled vitamin C juice.

miekal

if nothing else, I bet Dan H has an opinion on the matter, eh?

dreamtime village
http://net22.com/dreamtime/index.shtml

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu

  • [permaculture] seabuckthorn & the the vitamin C invasion, miekal and, 04/20/1999