permaculture - [permaculture] Re: OT: Does anyone know of a source of orchard mason bees?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: gardenbetty@earthlink.net
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: OT: Does anyone know of a source of orchard mason bees?
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 23:05:56 -0500

Osmia family bees, as opposed to Apis family bees, do not produce honey. They
are solitary bees that do not hive or form social groups or tend their young.
They emerge from their holes in early spring, the females mate, line those
holes with pollen, lay eggs in the pollen, "mason" up the hole with mud, then
die. The males do not pollinate very well, and die after they mate. Osmia
family bees are excellent orchard pollinators because they emerge at the same
time as the fruit trees come into bloom. They are also excellent pollinators
because it is their biological imperative to collect as much pollen as they
can to feed the next generation.

dawn

--
dawn
aka gardenbetty

We will be known by the tracks we leave behind... —Dakota proverb

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu