permaculture - Re: Hello there

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Christer Ellingsen <aasnee@online.no>
  • Cc: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hello there
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:06:20 -0500 (EST)

http://metalab.unc.edu/london InterGarden
london@metalab.unc.edu llondon@bellsouth.net

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Christer Ellingsen wrote:

> There you are,
> so I finally found you all.
> let me introduce myself.

Welcome to MetaLab's permaculture discussion forum!
Glad you found us.

> I'm 30 years old, esoteric healer by profession and have been leading
> what you might call an alternative lifestyle since I was about 16.
> Some years ago I "discovered" the internet and was transfixed by it's
> potential when it comes to spreading a message to a large group of
> people worldwide. and was especially fascinated but the prospect of
> putting out any amount of information, and letting the "people on the
> streets" come find it them self, and then being able to provide those
> same people with means of communicating with each other both in real
> time and on a mail or news system. I have been studying since then the
> net, the art of web design, and peoples behavior on the net. With the
> goal of helping good ideas and organizations like for instance
> permaculture to take advance of this potential. My approach to web
> design/ net use is very much the same as the one I use to life in
> general: put in a lot of serious effort, plant a seed and let it grow
> and it will very much take care of it self, provide it with water in
> times of draught, and see to that the weed don't suffocate it, or better
> yet let the "weeds" pull their weight, and in time you will harvest in
> abundance, and your long term effort is small. Web communities can be
> created the same way.

It does seem to work that way, fortunately for all of us.

> I have now started a small web design/consulting business, and one of my
> customers are the Norwegian permaculture association. I am building a
> big web for them with lot's of good info, several ways of community
> building communications and features that we hope will make the
> scandinavian permaculture internet community grow. And I have been asked
> to do the same in english, underway by central people in denmark.

What is the address of your Norwegian PC website?

> As a part of that job I have been scourging the net for some time now
> for links on permaculture and anything related. Mailing lists and
> newsgroups. And found a lot, but when it came to news groups i was at a
> loss until this after noon, when i found this list with a possible news
> group interface. During my hunt I bumped into several other

Yes, this list (or forum) _does_ have a news interface.

> out on exactly the same hunt. In fact it went so far that I am in the
> middle of the process of creating a alt.permaculture or
> alt.sustainable.permaculture (There already is a

Possibly a good idea to create alt.permaculture, though it may get
spammed enought to discourage active participation by good contributors.
This list can be made spamproof - said users and their posts can be
permanently deleted/locked out.

> alt.sustainable.agriculture group as I'm sure most of you know) But now
> I am at a loss since there already is one active permaculture list with
> a newsgroup interface.

This is that list.

> I have taken some hours to consider this and my conclusion is to ask you
> that are visiting this news server what to do.

I'd suggest sticking with this list for the long haul. Alt.permaculture
may be a good idea too.

> I don't mean to put anyone or anything down but you seem to be a little
> hard to find. Since most people use their ISP's news server to visit
> newsgroups they look at the groups they offer, some might even go to
> deja news and look there and if they don't find what they are looking
> for they don't think it can be found. So maybe a alt.permaculture, that

You just have to know the name of our news server in order to access this
list, and it is: news://franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Here's complete info on our PC forum:

Usage Guide For the Natural Agriculture
Heirarchy of Discussion Forums at MetaLab
|+|
Lawrence F. London, Jr., site administrator
london@metalab.unc.edu, llondon@bellsouth.net
http://metalab.unc.edu/london
Email me if you have questions, corrections, requests or suggestions
This document is located at: http://metalb.unc.edu/london/forumdoc.txt
|+|
The forum server is intelligent and flexible and tolerates a wide
range of input in case you forget access details.
|+|
Subscribers will be able to post, crosspost and read using any
method of access: the Web, email or news; non-subscribers will be able
to read but not post.
|+|
The system is set to archive permanently ALL posts to the list
whether they are posted via news, the Website or email.
|+|
Any spam posted will result in the offending party being locked out
of the forum and all their messages will be purged from the archive.
______

ACCESS
______

Access by email:
Ex.: subscribe permaculture

(posting to the list subscribers)
send email to: <put name of list here>@franklin.oit.unc.edu
Ex.: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu

Access on the Web:
------------------
go to this URL:
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu
go to "Official SunSITE Contributor Lists"
then go to:
"Topics Related to Natural Agriculture"
then go to the forum of your choice

or go to this URL:
------------------

permaculture forum (permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu):
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=permaculture&text_mode=0

or go to this URL to view all the forums available in the Natural
Agriculture heirarchy:
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?site=sunsite-contrib&page=topic&topic=natural-agriculture&text_mode=0

Here you can subscribe/unsubscribe, change your user options (i.e. tell
the list not to send you any email,
that you prefer to access the forum via the Web or as a newsgroup),
read, post, search

Access by newsgroup:
--------------------
Method 1 using your news reader:
-
Access via Usenet news can be had by adding this news server name to
your list
of news servers in your news reader, or make it your default server:
franklin.oit.unc.edu
[in Netscape this is easy - just click on "file", then "open news host",
then type in franklin.oit.unc.edu in the dialog box].
In Free Agent you can only have one news server (host) but you can,
of course, run multiple copies of Free Agent [just install
it into separate folders, each with a different name and different
desktop icon]. Connect with the news server and download the list of
newsgroups
available and subscribe to the ones that interest you.

Method 2 using your Web browser [+ news reader]:
-
go to this URL:
and download the list of newsgroups available and subscribe to the ones
that interest you
or go to this URL:
news://franklin.oit.unc.edu/put name of forum (= newsgroup, = mailing
list) here
to get to individual forums directly for reading and/or posting (if
you're subscribed)

====================================
URLs for access via the Web and news
====================================

http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?site=sunsite-contrib&page=topic&topic=natural-agriculture&text_mode=0
Natural Agriculture heirarchy of forums
<>
http://metalab.unc.edu/london/forumdoc.txt
USAGE: How to access the forums
<>
Access via the Web:
-------------------
permaculture forum
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=permaculture&text_mode=0

Access as a newsgroup:
----------------------
Go to server/download list of groups

permaculture forum
(type this URL directly into the dialog box in your Web browser)

<>
<>
<>

> would show up on a lot of news servers around the world would be a good
> idea anyway, it wouldn't be a competitor to this group rather a boost.
> More people would find their way to a group or list,
> and the two could work for each other. there are some people ho have a
> natural aversion for mailing list and there are alot of persons that
> prefer newsgroups to mailing lists, i am aware of the fact that there
> are several lists out there but since this seems to be a active and
> healthy list I thought it was worth a try to get opinions from you.
>
> So what do you say good people?

Alt.permaculture may be a good idea but this list has more features and
is more versatile .... and is spamproof ...._and_ archives everything posted
to the list for public retreival.

> I see from an earlier posting to this group that some of you use ICQ I
> have ICQ # 13078734 have e-mail aasnee@online.no and are registered at
> icq under the nick name norseman, if some of you would like to seek me
> out to discuss this proposal or other issues or just have a chat
> session, be my
> guest.

I'll have to crank up my ICQ Chat program again and get back online - will
contact you there when I do.
I am dirtfarmer, ICQ # 27930345
search ICQ for my info -
I haven't been online for months - don't know if my account is still
there.
We really ought to have a permaculture chat
room. Care to set one up on Mirabilis home page (the ICQ users homepage)?
What's the best version of ICQ to get at this time? ICQ 99b? or a later
version? What is the best site for downloading the software?

> I do apologize for any unclearity due to bad syntax, grammar or
> misspelling, english is obviously not my natural tongue.

You're doing just fine, not to worry.

Permaculturally,

Lawrence
permaculture list owner