permaculture - Re: Sustainable Building Materials

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <JohnS@STLabs.com>
  • To: 'permaculture' <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sustainable Building Materials
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:49:23 -0800

Aloha,

fans for such.

There are some DIY extremely inexpensive composting toilet
options worth looking into, such as the "Sunny John" moldering toilet
(featured in Permaculture Activist magazine(!), and online here:

http://www.zianet.com/blackrange/br_pages/sunny_john.html

There's also the Humanure Handbook:

http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/humanure.htm

And another good human manure reference with lots of research
behind it is "Future Fertility" by John Beeby, available from Ecology
Action publications:

http://www.crest.org/sustainable/ecology_action/pubs.html

You might want to look into the "Earth-friendly and
self-sufficient architectures" listserv - info at:

http://csf.Colorado.EDU/lists/essa/

There have been some owner-user postings in that list about some
of the commercial composting toilets (such as SunMar), reporting their
experiences both good and bad (there are searchable archives at the list
web site). Also, the list might be another good place to post the rest
of your questions as well.

John Schinnerer