permaculture - Re: Permaculture's purpose

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture's purpose
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:38:37 -0500

There is no way , in the space of a two-week course,that
participants really have time to do anything more than "symbolic" work,
both designing and field. Two weeks is enough time to change paradigms,
transmit basic prinicples, strategies, and techniques (just a few!) of
Permaculture and how they reflect in the various areas of life rural and
urban. But there is no way ( and I have tried !) to present the wide range
of Permaculture areas of action and still have time for real practical
work. The result is a worryingly low rate of multiplying effect: people
are enthusiastic,but get insecure when they return to the complexities of
their own situation ( unless they are implanting a backyard system, which
one can do quite competently after a course, I suppose...)
I see a missing link which is more( quantities) structured training
programs, where there are opportunities for people to have several months
on-hand experience.
We are setting up such a program here, a three-month traineeship where
the person will work in systems starting in a 1,000-meter backyard
agroforest,up to a 70-hectare coco system, ranging from rainforest to
drylands systems, including our own headquarters which is on pure dune
sand.... At the same time each participant will have to take a bare piece
of land and design and implant a system, will do a lot of designing, both
theoretical and real, and will have to do some form of field research,
write an article, and teach someone else ( a course or new trainees...)
Furthermore they will participate in the regular activities of the
Institute, so they can see a small activist NGO from inside out. For the
program we are charging a small fee, which promises to pay a reasonable
salary to the instructor.
There has been tremendously enthuiastic response to the proposal,
with 5 people matriculated already for January, basically young university
or technical-school graduates who want to dedicate their lives to creating
sustainable systems, but have had little or no opportunity for real-life
experience...
I have real hopes that with this program young professionals will
go to the field vastly better-prepared, having had a wide range of real
practical experience.

(PS Although developped for the local public, we could actually also
receive foreign participants who want third-world tropical experience, as
the traineeship could also be given in English. Portuguese lessons could be
arranged on the spot)

Marsha Hanzi
Technical coordinator,
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia