permaculture - RE: Letter to Mr. Mandela

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <JohnS@STLabs.com>
  • To: "'permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu'" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Letter to Mr. Mandela
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 14:26:24 -0800

Aloha,

a few questions...

corresponds with
>its costs of production with ecological goods and services.

Who will determine what this percentage is, and how will they do
so? Who will determine what "ecological" means?
How will the labels themselves be 100% "ecological?"

>To satisfy the demand of consumers of the developed world for
ecological
>goods and services, the producers of South Africa will compete
with each
>other to produce ecologically.

There appears to me to be inherent contradictions in the above -
demand, consumers, producers, industrial competition, "business as
usual" but somehow it will magically be "ecological." Any further
explanation would be appreciated.

>...will improve the standard of living in South Africa

What specifically is meant by "improve the standard of living?"
For whom, when? What would be some of the tangible and intangible
changes in daily life?

>...and lead to an increase in demand for the goods and services
of the
>developed world.

How will this increase in demand have consequences different
from the current "endless growth" economic systems?

John Schinnerer