permaculture - Re: diotomaceous earth and worms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Martha Ruth Hills (MelbPC)" <mrhills@melbpc.org.au>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>, "PERMA@edv1. boku. ac. at" <PERMA@edv1.boku.ac.at>, "Pacific Edge Permaculture" <pacedge@magna.com.au>, "permaculture@#envirolink. org" <permaculture@#envirolink.org>
  • Subject: Re: diotomaceous earth and worms
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:41:58 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: April Sampson-Kelly <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
To: PERMA@edv1. boku. ac. at <PERMA@edv1.boku.ac.at>; Pacific Edge Permaculture <pacedge@magna.com.au>; permaculture@#envirolink. org <permaculture@#envirolink.org>; permaculture@listserv. oit. unc. edu <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Wednesday, November 25, 1998 10:31 AM
Subject: diotomaceous earth and worms

Does Diotomaceous earth harm earth worms?

According to the Rodale publication The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening (1978),
    "It is digestible by earthworms and harmless to mammals and birds."

There may, however, be 2 versions of diatomaceous earth.  I used to buy
the stuff sold for swimming pool filters, but Green Harvest (Queensland, Australia)
says that it is ok to use for organic growing, it can control worms and other parasites
in animals.  "All products are untreated, unheated agricultural DE, not the DE used in
swimming pool filters, which is dangerous & has no pest control properties."
Whether that's true I can't say, but I do have a big box of it in the shed and wonder
if I should be applying it.

onward,

Martha Ruth Hills

Our life is more than our work and our work is more
than our job.