permaculture - Re: Permaculture's purpose

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David de Vries <ddevries@scu.edu.au>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu, Elfpermacl@aol.com
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture's purpose
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 23:51:09 +1100

Thanks to Sherry for an excellent post reviving this dynamic thread.

I would like to focus on this issue you made:
>Permaculture is a belief system, too. I know some people will say this makes
>it sound like a cult. However, I don't see how one can practise permaculture
>without replacing the dominant belief systems now in place.

Harking back: Scott said of Dan;
". I admire the old coot for his tenacity
and integrity in holding the line on any attempts to co-op permaculture into
something it was never intended to be - a new slant on new age political
correctness. I am particularly glad that I'm not the one doing it for a
change.

So a tip of the hat to another ally with his finger in the dike, (can I say
that?), you know what I mean.
Scott Pittman"

Grossly simplifying, the debate may be polarised into two sets.
1) The new age, ying-yang, energy fields, inclusive _flowers in the hair_
set who will manifest a healing of the universe.
2) The roll the sleeves up, say it like it is, scientific, take no
prisoners _red bandanna_ set who will engineer a healing of the landscape.

I don't see the two poles as incompatible, within permaculture - or within
one person. A capacity to oscillate between these camps may be
advantageous.

Mollison is an example - the mystical fool/sorcerer can become the cynical
scientist mid sentence. As long as you have your ethics, you can pull on
as many hats as you wish.

Similarly, I am intrigued by a New Module in Dan's online course
enigmatically titled "Transformation" - if thats not new-age clap-trap then
I'll trade-in my crystal dolphins.

So Dan, what is "Transformation"? Something you do with a D9 or the
evolution of ecological consciousness on a planetary scale?

David