permaculture - Water resources-- help on terminology

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: bioregional@csf.colorado.edu
  • Cc: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Water resources-- help on terminology
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:15:50 -0800

Dear Friends at the List,

My colleague Max is completing a translation Portuguese-English about
water resources in Latin America. We would like to ask confirmation
from someone "over there" who is familiar with this terminology:

1) Is it correct to say "hydrographic basin"? Or "hydrographic river
basin"? or should it be hydrological basin? or hydrological river
basin?

2) What is the difference between a water basin and a river basin?

3) What is the difference between a river basin and a hydrographic
basin?

4) Is there such a thing as "hydrological companies, or are they all
water companies?

5) Is it correct to call a climatic zone "the torrid zone?"(I`m talking
about GEOGRAPHY here!!!)

This document will be presented at a congress on water resources, so it
is important that it contain the correct teminology....

Thank you all for your help...

Marsha
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
Brazil

  • Water resources-- help on terminology, Marsha Hanzi, 11/19/1998