permaculture - Re: Stucco w/manure?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jeffrey Newman <newman@bcinternet.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Stucco w/manure?
  • Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 22:08:10 -0800

Sonja Brodt wrote:

> I recently spent one year in rural India studying village tree management,
> and noticed that villagers use cowdung as "stucco" for their houses.

> They gather the dried cowdung paddies from the streets and where ever else

> they find them. It seems that they mixed these with some water to make a
> thick paste which was then spread in a thin layer on walls. I believe
> they also use this same material to make a paved area in front of their
> houses to make a clean area (it is firm when it dries and thus easy to
> sweep) for guests to sit, women and children to do housework, and so on.
> Cowdung is considered clean for such uses and it is often the job of young
> children to gather it. A new layer is often added to houses right before
> important festivals.

Ditto in South Africa among the Bantu for their hut floors. I've been in a
number and
it is sweet-smelling, warm and pleasant to the touch. No-one, even amongst
the more
sophisticated white community mentioned dangers of plague-like flu. The only
problem
I remember was insects eventually eating their way through and therefore
these floors
are traditionally replaced every few years.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Newman
My personal web site is at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/5759/

My ICQ number is: 9879310