permaculture - [Fwd: Conference Statement]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: NSPU <putratan@indosat.net.id>
  • To: oashour <oashour@vt.edu>, oba1 <oba1@erols.com>, "obz@mozcom.com" <obz@mozcom.com>, Ohalim <ohalim@indo.net.id>, "oici@oicinternational.org" <oici@oicinternational.org>, omar <omar@masjid.net>, omarh <omarh@onramp.net>, omeish <omeish@UMDNJ.EDU>, Oregonia <oregonia@rad.net.id>, "opius@gol.grosseto.it" <opius@gol.grosseto.it>, Organic Consumers Association <oca@purefood.org>, "owa@indo.net.id" <owa@indo.net.id>, owner-sisters <owner-sisters@msa-natl.org>, OXFAM-Canada <oxsask@web.apc.org>, OXFAM-GB <oxfam-uki@yogya.wasantara.net.id>, "oxfam-uki@yogya.wasantara.net.id" <oxfam-uki@yogya.wasantara.net.id>, "oxfamcom@igc.apc.org" <oxfamcom@igc.apc.org>, P3AEUI <p3aeui@idola.net.id>, P3M <p3mnet@idola.net.id>, "p_moonen@bc.sympatico.ca" <p_moonen@bc.sympatico.ca>, Pakisama <pakisama@mozcom.com>, Pam Allen <Pam.Allen@utas.edu.au>, Pang <wap@tm.net.my>, parveez <parveez@cr78ra1uk.win-uk.net>, "patcox@onr.com" <patcox@onr.com>, pathan <pathan@eden.rutgers.edu>, Patricia Henry <phenry@cs.niu.edu>, Patricia Whittier <whittip@alpha.lansing.cc.mi.us>, Paul Nicholson <cpe@knooppunt.be>, Paul Sinappan <paulcca@pc.jaring.my>, pbhi <pbhi@usa.net>, PCRC <pcrc@is.com.fj>, pdv <pdv@digitaldevelopment.com>, Peggy Ball <ballfam@rad.net.id>, Peasant Youth Movement <twn@unv.ernet.in>, "peinarsson@nn.inform.dk" <peinarsson@nn.inform.dk>, Pekerti <pekerti@indo.net.id>, "PELAEZ@REDVAX1.DGSCA.UNAM.MX" <PELAEZ@servidor.unam.mx>, Pelangi <ypi@cbn.net.id>, pembaru <pembaru@indo.net.id>, Pen New York <pen@echonyc.com>, "penk@bdg.centrin.net.id" <penk@bdg.centrin.net.id>, PERC <perc@igc.apc.org>, "permaculture@sunsite.unc.edu" <permaculture@sunsite.unc.edu>, PHILDHRRA <phildhra@durian.usc.edu.ph>, phildhrra <phildhrra@netasia.net>, "philip@wri.org" <philip@wri.org>, Pieter Elmas <nenmasil@ambon.wasantara.net.id>, Pijar Indonesia <www@md.sparknet.net>, PKBI <pkbinet@idola.net.id>, PLASMA <Danum@smd.mega.net.id>, playfair <playfair@asta.rwth-aachen.de>, Pollard <rpollard@worldbank.org>, postbox <postbox@ips.isb.erum.com.pk>, "postmast@procam.org.pe" <postmast@procam.org.pe>, PPD Yogya <ppdyogya@idola.net.id>, "ppi@qinet.net" <ppi@qinet.net>, PPSDAK <ppsdak-pk@pontianak.wasantara.net.id>, "prasmussen@igc.apc.org" <prasmussen@igc.apc.org>, prem <prem@muslim.com>, "preparata@mi.infn.it" <preparata@mi.infn.it>, "press-action@agp.org" <press-action@agp.org>, "projects@davidsuzuki.org" <projects@davidsuzuki.org>, PULVQUIST <PULVQUIST@worldnet.att.net>, pupdog <pupdog@pair.com>, Pusat Informasi Rakyat <Piar@kupang.wasantara.net.id>, PUSHAM <pusham@indo.net.id>
  • Subject: [Fwd: Conference Statement]
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:13:01 +0700

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Global Forum on Sustainable Food and Nutritional Security c/o A <agora@tba.com.br>
  • To: (Lista de destinatário omitida)
  • Subject: Conference Statement
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:56:22 -0200
The "International Conference on Alternatives to Globalization" was
attended by 100 delegates. It was held at the Development Academy of the
Philippines in Tagaytay City, Philippines, November 7-9th, 1998

Conference Statement
Approved November 9, 1998
Tagaytay City, Philippines

We, as individuals and groups from 31 countries in Asia and the Pacific,
Latin America, Africa, Europe and North America, representing people's
movements, networks, organizations, centers, institutes and academe, have
come together in the International Conference on Alternatives to
Globalization with two objectives: first, to seek a deeper understanding of
the global economic crisis and its causes; second, on the basis of our
shared views and experiences, to explore and develop alternative strategies
and paradigms in confronting globalization.

Directly linked to the crisis is globalization - the neoliberal offensive
or contemporary conveyance of monopoly capital to maximize the extraction
of profit. To this end, globalization uses modern technology (such as
robotics and information technology) and the political prescriptions -
liberalization, deregulation and privatization - of the triad multilateral
institutions, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank (WB) and
World Trade Organization (WTO).

Globalization has worsened the effects of the destructive paradigm of
"growth and development." Instead of economic prosperity and social
stability that it promised for all nations, globalization has brought about
economic turmoil, political and social tension, and widespread devastation
to the world's peoples and resources. The myth of globalization has thus
been fully exposed and debunked.

The impacts of the global crisis are all so clearly seen today.

The gap between the rich and poor in all nations, industrial and
non-industrial alike, and between the rich and poor countries is widening
rather than narrowing. Moreover, with the trend towards mergers and
acquisitions, increasingly much more wealth - and power - is being
concentrated in the hands of fewer monopoly capitalists who control the
transnational corporations (TNCs).

The systematic assaults on labor is dissipating the working class gains,
causing widespread unemployment, job insecurity, loss of benefits, the
destruction of trade unions. The massive displacement of workers leads to
the rise and further commodification of migrant workers.

The peasants' limited gains in agrarian reform are likewise being reversed,
resulting in more landlessness, rural unemployment and penury.

Exploitation of women labor, especially unpaid labor, in farms and
factories is intensified. The crisis causes more women and children to be
displaced, commodified and economically and sexually exploited as
modern-day slaves. Patriarchy remains a key problem and physical violence
on women and children, both inside and outside the home, is prevalent.

The indigenous people's struggle against exclusion, for their right to
self-determination, recognition of equal rights as citizens and right to
ancestral lands or historical domain is rendered more difficult. In many
instances their very survival is being threatened by environmental
degradation, mainly caused by TNCs, and by the state policies of disguised
genocide.

Global environmental abuse is being accelerated primarily by globalization.
The ill effects include climate change, ozone depletion, air and water
pollution, ocean resource depletion and pollution, deforestation,
extinction of species and dangerous genetic manipulation.

All these problems are arising because of the irrational pursuit of profit
by rampaging capitalism.

Everywhere globalization is eroding the gains of social movements in all
aspects (political, social and cultural). There is a general regression of
democracy, as economic impositions by states entail increasing human rights
violations, not only of economic, social and cultural rights, but of
political and civil rights as well. In the third world, as the majority of
the people are marginalized economically, they are also disempowered
politically.

State power in defense of the people's rights and welfare is increasingly
undermined. On the other hand, state power is, more than ever, being used
to step up the implementation of the neoliberal prescriptions of
globalization, in the form of national legislation, bilateral agreements
with IMF and WB, multilateral pacts under the WTO regime, and regional and
other arrangements.

The very proponents of globalization have acknowledged that the global
crisis embroils the entire capitalist system. They likewise admit the
inevitability of cyclical crises as inherent in the system. They warn of
its recurrence even as they confess failure to find a solution to the
current global crisis.

Far from nearing its end, the crisis threatens to get even worse. As the
liberalization and deregulation drive is being pushed to the maximum - via
the Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI) and the WTO - the situation
can only deteriorate.

Inexorably, the crisis has set in motion a growing opposition to
globalization among the adversely affected peoples, both organized and
unorganized, in all regions of the world. The rising level of popular
opposition is manifested in organized as well as spontaneous protest
actions, and in various creative, if less dramatic, ways.

The International Conference on Alternatives to Globalization is one
manifestation of this growing opposition. It is a closing of ranks of
diverse movements and initiatives toward more effective resistance to
globalization.

United in resisting and rejecting globalization, we are determined to
develop, through our separate and unified initiatives, effective strategies
and paradigms of economic and social development different from the "growth
and development" paradigm that has driven peoples to further economic
marginalization and political disempowerment.

Over the long term, we shall strive to develop alternative paradigms that
uphold and safeguard the peoples' interest, rights, welfare and values,
ensures their sovereign control of their natural and human resources,
guarantees economic democracy, democratic governance, and their right to
determine their national destiny.

Certainly, we have different ways and means to achieve such paradigms, and
we respect each other's independence in pursuing the goal.

In the short term, we shall take steps to strengthen the capacities of
peoples and communities to defend themselves against the onslaughts of
globalization. We shall take recourse, principally, in expanding and

strengthening our organizations, sustaining education and pursuing actions
of resistance and struggle that have been proven effective, while we
explore and develop new ones as conditions may require.

Specifically, we call for the following urgent actions:

* Expose and oppose the MAI and prevent its negotiation within the WTO by
immediately launching sustained national and international campaigns. Work
for the withdrawal of the harmful agreements on agriculture and TRIPs from
the WTO.

* Campaign for the non-payment of foreign loans by nations in crisis.
Oppose the signing of new letters of intent with the IMF and reject all
onerous loan conditionalities.

* Oppose foreign military intervention in the internal affairs of nations
as it violates their sovereignty and right to self-determination.

* Support the OilWatch declaration against new fossil fuel exploration.

We firmly resolve to expand, intensify and sustain worldwide resistance
against globalization. Separately and together, we shall consistently wage
militant struggles until we defeat this modern scourge. (end)

The "International Conference on Alternatives to Globalization" was
attended by 100 delegates. It was held at the Development Academy of the
Philippines in Tagaytay City, Philippines.

The conference was followed by a global teach-in called "International
Colloquium on Imperialist Globalization and Crisis." This half-day event
was held at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City, and
was a rousing success and which was attended by more than 400 participants.

Both events were organized by IBON Foundation and BAYAN.

IBON Foundation Inc.
3/F SCC Bldg. 4427 Int. Old Sta. Mesa,
Manila 1008, Philippines
Tel (0063-2) 713-2737 / 713-2729 Fax (0063-2) 716-0108
http://www.info.com.ph/~ibon

Margrete Strand Rangnes
MAI Project Coordinator
Public Citizen Global Trade Watch
215 Pennsylvania Ave, SE
Washington DC, 20003
mstrand@citizen.org
202-546 4996, ext. 306
202-547 7392 (fax)

subscribe directly by going to our website,
www.tradewatch.org

Ms. Renske van Staveren, Coordinator
International Forum on Food & Agriculture (IFA)
c/o Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP)
2105 First Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN, USA 55404-2505
ph: 612-870-3423 fax: 612-870-4846
<rvanstaveren@iatp.org>
http://www.iffah.org
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint.
When I ask why the poor have no food,
they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara

Flavio Luiz Schieck Valente
Secretaria
Fórum Brasileiro de Segurança Alimentar e Nutricional Sustentável
c/o Agora - Associacao para Projetos de Combate a Fome
SGAN 905 Conjunto B
70790-050. Brasilia. DF Brasil
tel +55 61 347 4914
fax +55 61 274 8822
347 9002
cel + 55 61 972 1455
e-mail agora@tba.com.br
homepage http://www.brnet.com.br/rededma/plp
--- End Message ---

  • [Fwd: Conference Statement], NSPU, 11/27/1998