permaculture - [Fwd: Congratulations; Million MOVE-ON March]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Vint Lawrence <vlawrence@nets.com>
  • To: Threshold List <threshold@lists.best.com>, PC Listserv <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [Fwd: Congratulations; Million MOVE-ON March]
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:50:32 -0600

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: "Censure and Move On" <announce-unsubscribe-25703@list.moveon.org>
  • To: vlawrence@nets.com
  • Subject: Congratulations; Million MOVE-ON March
  • Date: 1 Oct 1998 02:25:22 -0000
This is not an unsolicited mailing. You've received this email because you
signed up at moveon.org. This is our very first mailing, and we have great
news. We will try to respect your time and attention. If you don't want any
further communication from us, just REPLY to this message, type "remove" in
the subject and you will be automatically removed. You may continue to hear
about us from friends - we can't help that.

We now have 100,000 signatures on the "Censure and Move On" petition. And
you did it in one week. It's incredible - congratulations and thanks. But
we need more. We need a MILLION signups to deliver a truly powerful message
to Washington. Imagine the impact of "Enough! Move on." from a million
individual voices.

REDOUBLE YOUR EFFORTS TO TELL FRIENDS, FAMILY AND COLLEAGUES ABOUT THE
CAMPAIGN. Forward this email with your own personal appeal. Have them
visit http://www.moveon.org to sign the petition and be heard. Ask them to
tell others. Type the complete link (http://www.moveon.org) in your message
to make it easy. Don't send to people you don't know. This campaign is
built on personal contact.

With YOUR HELP, we can do it. And we must before the IMPEACHMENT VOTE
scheduled the week of OCTOBER 4. Once the House votes to begin
investigation and hearings, this will go on for months if not years. House
leadership has indicated an intention to open up matters beyond the Starr
report, as if 4 years and $40 million dollars isn't enough investigation.

We can't allow partisanship, extremism, and personal interest to tear the
country apart.

Censure and Move On
September 29, 1998

P.S. For your information, we've included today's press release below. If
you have any friends in the press. Pass it on.
___________
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Online petition campaign begins "Million Move-on March":
Aims to collect 1 million signatures by Election Day
100,000 already collected in first week

September 29, 1998 (San Francisco, CA) Censure and Move On, a bipartisan
online petition campaign promoting a common ground solution to the current
crisis in Washington, today launched an ambitious effort to collect one
million signatures by election day. The "Million Move-on March" campaign
will begin with a first-stage goal of collecting 250,000 signatures by the
week of October 4th, when the House of Representatives is expected to vote
on impeachment hearings. The campaign, started by a husband and wife team,
has already collected more than 100,000 signatures in the first week.

"We're just looking for a common-sense solution to end this impasse," said
Joan Blades, co-founder of the software firm Berkeley Systems. "As
Republicans, Democrats, and Independents, we don't necessarily agree on
everything. But we do agree on one thing -- it's high time to move on. And,
if Congress and the President can't figure out how to do this, we'll give
them a million reasons to try just a bit harder."

Censure and Move On began its initial signature gathering effort on
September 22, aiming to collect 10,000 signatures. With 100,000 signatures
in the first week, the campaign has already far exceeded expectations. This
success spurred the group to dramatically increase its signature goal to one
million.

"Frankly, we've been blown away by the response," said Wes Boyd, also a
co-founder of Berkeley Systems. "We spent $89.95 on a Web site, and sent out
a few dozen e-mails. And now, a week later, we've got 100,000 signatures.
However, we are a 100 percent volunteer effort. So, if we are truly going to
reach our goal of 1 million signatures, it's essential that campaign
supporters continue to spread the word."

The Comments section of the petition has been surprisingly popular. "Enough
is enough!" and "Enough already!" compete for the honor of most frequent
comment. The campaign has posted the first 100 comments at
http://www.moveon.org/comments.htm. Another surprise is the number of
individuals who have volunteered to give time to the campaign. More than
eight hundred supporters have offered to help.

"The response from across the country reflects a deep concern for America's
future, and expresses a powerful commitment to revitalize democracy through
the active participation of its citizens," said Blades. "With more than
100,000 signatures, and with hundreds of people volunteering their time and
skills, we hope that politicians in Washington will pay heed and act in the
best interests of their constituencies and of our nation."

About Censure and Move On

Censure and Move On is a bipartisan "flash campaign," made possible only
through the organizing capabilities of the Internet. Using e-mail and the
Web, the campaign aims to translate a broad and deep consensus in the
American public into swift action by Congress and the President. The
campaign began with an online petition drive to highlight public opinion.

However, if the issue remains unresolved, the campaign intends to promote
the issue in this fall's election, and mobilize its supporters to electoral
action.

The Censure and Move On petition can be found at http://www.moveon.org. The
petition simply states that "Congress must Immediately Censure President
Clinton and Move On to pressing issues facing the country." In addition, the
site includes directions for sending campaign e-mail to friends and
associates, and directions for becoming more involved in the campaign.
Censure and Move On is a 100 percent volunteer campaign.

For more information on Censure and Move on, see our online press room at
http://www.moveon.org or e-mail us at press@moveon.org.

--- End Message ---

  • [Fwd: Congratulations; Million MOVE-ON March], Vint Lawrence, 10/01/1998