permaculture - Fwd: Re: Re: Redwater, ticks and old grass [Ireland]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Permacltur@aol.com
  • To: bambugib@harborside.com, owner-permaculture@envirolink.org, sustag@tinet.ie, permaculture@envirolink.org, Permacltur@aol.com
  • Subject: Fwd: Re: Re: Redwater, ticks and old grass [Ireland]
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:06:22 EDT

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Permacltur@aol.com
  • To: bambugib@harborside.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: Redwater, ticks and old grass [Ireland]
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:05:24 EDT

<<In Oregon we have a similar scenario but I have never heard of a tick
problem. One scheme has been to plant harvestable timber bamboo on private
lands between the fence and the waterway. On the Coquille River, landowner
Barney Amdahl, purchased 3 bamboo species and using the State of Oregon's
program for riparian improvement had the fence and bamboo planted with the
state crew. This was 3 years ago. We are monitoring the progrees of this
planting.

Perhaps the planting of bamboo or willow on the otherside of the fence
would ease this stockman's fears. Perhaps he will appreciate another
marketable crop?

Sincerely,

Gib Cooper
Secretary, Oregon Bamboo Association>>

Nice suggestin, Gib:

Much of the best work in hybrid willow was done in Ireland. I don't know what
species of bamboo they would use--Maybe Phyllostachys congesta? Bamboo is
less tolerant of seasonal flooding than willow, particularly Phyllostachys spp
which is about the only genus they can grow in Ireland, I'd think. Both
plants are suitable as emergency or supplemental fodder, though willow
produces more and is more resiliant. Basket willows can be a nice touch.
Geese will keep the grass mowed without breaking down the banks. Hawthorns
can be used as a partial barrier to cattle and the fruit used as fruit or
medicine. Possibly some species of Mayhaw, the large fruited hawthorns, will
grow there (I don't recall the part of ireland we are talking about.) Some of
the chinese species also might suit and might be better climatically adapted,
though in any case I'd use local wetlands species as rootstock. (I've seen
them in ireland, as well as a crab apple growing in standing water that would
make a dynamite root stock for apples in that sodden place.)

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email. Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA Internships. YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html

--- End Message ---