permaculture - Re: Stormwater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Paul Osmond" <p_osmond@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Stormwater
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 05:32:57 PDT

Thanks for the interesting and useful replies to my posting re.
stomwater
retention/reuse in new urban developments.

Essentially what we are proposing to do in Port Phillip is to:

1) Require (wherever possible) on-site retention and use of additional
stormwater
runoff generated as a result of the additional areas of impervious
surface created
by the development, as indicated in my original posting;

2) If for some reason this is not possible, require the developer to
pipe the
excess runoff to irrigate a nearby area of public open space (we already
have a
commitment from one major developer who can't use all his stormwater
water on site
to transfer the excess to create a native frog wetland behind a local
rail stop);

3) In the rare situation where neither option is possible, require the
developer
to restore an area of currently impervious surface elsewhere in the same
drainage
catchment to a pervious condition, this area to be equivalent to that
rendered
impervious by the development works.

At present we are relying on persuasion and goodwill to achieve these
ends.
Setting them as requirements in the local town planning scheme will be
"interesting", to say the least. I note that this approach is common in
a number
of European countries and some American States, but it is still pretty
new here,
and I suspect there will be some resistance....

As for roof gardens (which a couple of people referred to in their
replies), we
have been doing some work on this too and you might want to check out
our
"growing" roof garden site which a colleague from Monash University has
created
for us at
http://www-personal.buseco.monash.edu.au/~tbolton/rooftop/index.html.

Paul Osmond