permaculture - Re: Sanity vs Sanitisation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David de Vries <ddevries@scu.edu.au>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Sanity vs Sanitisation
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:47:57 +1000

<<Many societies have trouble with the simplicity of drinking water off of a
roof.

>Maybe where you come from there is a lot of sand, so that there is no
>environmental damage if you head occupies some of it. However the point of
>permaculture is to deal with problems, not to set up a system of denial.
>Rain
>is polluted. It is polluted everywhere. Snow is polluted in Antarctica.
>This is because we have learned to shit into the sky, so to speak, with
>devices like exhaust pipes and chimneys. The air does not observe national
>boundries.

Dan

Agreed, all rain is polluted.
Furthermore, every mouthfull of every 'organic' food contains detectable
amounts of lead. Breast milk from every mammal on the planet contains
detectable amounts of dioxins.
Blah Blah.
These are problems.
However, avoidance of/barriers to these sources of nutrition will only
amplify the problems.

Yup, we have to face the problems - placing expensive gadgets between
humans and this background load is futile.

And do it with gusto.

David

  • Sanity vs Sanitisation, David de Vries, 09/28/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Sanity vs Sanitisation, David de Vries, 09/29/1998