permaculture - Re: ferro-cement cisterns

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bobbi Chukran <chukran@io.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: ferro-cement cisterns
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 22:29:19 -0500

Jack wrote:
>In Texas, we purchased materials for two 6,000+ gallon ferro-cement cistern
>for under $700 per tank (labor was provided with workshop participants).
>The walls were about 2-1/2 inches thick, and both Mollison and Alan Savory
>assured me they were being built thinner in Australia and South Africa.

Jack, thanks for adding your information. Are you in the Austin area?
We're always interested in hearing other folks experiences with rainwater
collection. My husband is planning on adding a web page on the subject to
mine as soon as he gets the chance. We also considered a cement cistern,
but decided to go with the fiberglass tanks to start with, since the guy
that put in our system for us was more experienced with it.

I checked on what we paid for our system, and it was about $1.00 per gallon
including labor, tanks, and the plumbing to the house (up the hill about
200-feet). This did not include the gutters and downspouts for the house
or garage.

I did test our water last year with an inexpensive garden kit, and the
water was right at neutral on the pH scale. We don't have horrible acid
rain here (yet), so it may not be as acidic as other parts of the country.
We also don't add any chemicals, salt, or anything to the water. It's
certainly more neutral than any of the well water around here, which is
nasty stuff that has to be treated before drinking. Apparently in the
Caribbean, where there is no drinking water, rainwater collection systems
are used quite frequently.

As far as stormwater runoff is concerned (the original question), there was
a program on public radio the other day about areas that are putting
gardens on top of public buildings that have flat roofs on them. The
gardens soak up the rainwater, and there's less runoff that way. Just
another possible solution to the problem.

Like I said before, I'm no expert, but I have read and studied all the
permaculture books and methods. Just wanted to pose a possible solution to
a problem. I think rainwater collection could be the answer in areas that
don't have enough water, and in areas that have too much water!

Bobbi C.
chukran@io.com
Leander, TX