permaculture - Re: Stormwater retention/reuse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Elfpermacl@aol.com
  • To: chukran@io.com, owner-permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Stormwater retention/reuse
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:25:00 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/98 10:14:12 AM, chukran@io.com wrote:

<< It's pH neutral, so I can practically see my garden
grow overnight after watering!>>

Bobbi: Two questions. First, how do you know your water is neutral. Is this
an assumption or a measurement? If it is, you have the only neutral rain
water in North America, I suspect.

Second, are you willing to share cost figures? And if your tanks cost
significantly less than $1/gal storage, where you got them!

Most everyone knows how to figure the volume of water from the roof, You take
the area of the cross section of the roof times the total rainfall and that is
your volume. If you get 2 feet of rain per year and have 1,000 square feet of
cross section, than you have 2,000 cubic feet of water per year, or something
less than 15,000 gallons. Our friends in Australia have it easier since they
use the metric system, but it is gradeschool math for anyone.

I think that the necessary formula would deal with matters more complex than
computation of volume. Maybe the original question should be restated so we
are all back on that track again.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email. Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA Internships. YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html