permaculture - Re: Permaculture and Modern Education

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture and Modern Education
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 13:19:02 -0700

In respect to Permaculture in schools, I would like to warmly recommend
"Agroforests for Children" by Carolyn Nuttall where the implantation of
an agroforest by the children slowly transformed the whole curriculum
into an organic process where the children took the initiative and the
teacher just helped them find what they were wanting to learn. It may
be a key to how to transform linear fragmented teaching into something
more global and meaningful with a minimum of cost and upeheaval... We
are translating this book into Portuguese and hope to offer it to all
schools here (Brazil) in the near future...

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
Brazil