permaculture - Re: Frontline (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Frontline (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 23:52:12 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 03:26:30 -1000
From: hector@hawaii.edu
To: Jeff Bump <jtbump@midplains.net>
Cc: sanet-mg@shasta.ces.ncsu.edu
Subject: Re: Frontline

Jeff:

RE: chemicals, balancing of pros vs cons

Another aspect, in my mind, other than simply balancing the economic
pros and cons concerning the use of chemicals in society, is the basic
issue of democracy. Given all the information available would the public
chose the chemical route or rather work with (unexplored) alternatives.
However at the onset of this chemical *era* the public probably wasn't
given all the pertinent facts and the trend was *pushed* by corporations
and the govt through a process of *social engineering* (we know what is
best for them- or rather for US in terms of profits) that was well tuned
up by the early 1900s.

A parallel process of social engineering was followed to establish the
automobile industry that you mention, and more recently the subsidized
aerospace and hi-tech industries- all at substantial cost to the
taxpayer and environment. An educated public and participatory democracy
may be prerequisites to develop sustainable systems.

Aloha,

Hector Valenzuela
hector@hawaii.edu