permaculture - Re: off topic, but important (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Kendra <dkendra@mr.net>
  • To: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
  • Cc: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu, organic-certification@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: off topic, but important (fwd)
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 11:59:43 -0500

I bet not. If it does get pulled I bet it will be because PBS couldn't
substantiate the claims made in the piece. It's always easy to claim
something
isn't good for you but it' tougher to prove it. Any response that the
chemical
industry makes to counter the claims in the PBS piece will be viewed as
pressure
to thwart the truth. I've participated on both sides of this debate so I am
used
to Diane Cooner's comment because I made them as well.

I've noted in numerous posts in this and other newsgroups, we are more at
risk
from natural chemicals that plants, animals and microbes normally produce to
protect themselves than we are from synthetic chemicals. Individuals in the
organic farming and sustainable agriculture movements refuse to acknowledge
this
arguement (which is supported by volumes of peer-reviewed data) because they
will
be able to claim they were ignorant of the potential problems when the health
risks of their products and methods of agriculture are finally brought to
light.
No one wants to eat unhealthy food. Activists within these movements play on
these fears in order to advance their own causes, often without any factual
data
to support their claims. Maybe if their products went through as intense as
screening process as used to register synthetic chemicals then I bet many of
these
rediculous claims would disappear. How many mycotoxins routinely found in
organically grown produce also endocrine disruptors?

Cheers,
Dave Kendra