permaculture - RE: Teach PC!?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mgd5@cornell.edu
  • To: goebel <goebel@wsu.edu>
  • Cc: "'jenny@dsrt.com'" <jenny@dsrt.com>, "'permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu'" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Teach PC!?
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:39:49 -0400 (EDT)

The First People of the Americas have a philosophical basis for diversity
management derived from many practises, but usually based on Thanksgiving
(kanonweratonsera). In the Thanksgiving address there is an appreciation
for every thing in creation even that "Creator". Every thing has a gift,
a gift we humans find useful for our sustenance and life. We may laud the
flowers, the food plants, and animal life, but we are also aware of
thistles, turkey buzzards, and snakes. So when we give thanks for the
birds for instance, we're also giving thanks for the buzzards as well.
As members of the living world, people also have gifts. We give thanks
for the male-kind and female-kind and their gifts.

It is only recently among Amerindians, with nearly half our people living
in urban settings, that the "I-Thou" relationship to the world is being
replaced by the "I-It".

It was pleasure to read of your work.

Thohahoken