permaculture - Re:Sola Tubes, again

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Katherine Waser <kwaser@ag.arizona.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re:Sola Tubes, again
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:31:52 -0700

I've had a fair number of emails from people who were interested in the
idea of the "sola tubes" I mentioned in a recent post, so I called the
local dealer and got the following information--hope it's useful to enough
listmembers that this won't be seen as spam! (I have no connection with
sola tube other than owning and liking their product.)

Sola Tube is an international company, and they are distributed throughout
the USA (the local distributor didn't have much information on overseas
dealers, though).

The US manufacturer is:

Sola Tube
5825 Avenida Encinas Ste. 101
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Tel: +1 (619) 929-6060
Fax: +1 (619) 929-6067

It may take some sleuthing to discover where they are available locally,
since they are distributed by local companies whose names, of course, vary.
Also, it seems that individual dealers set their own price. The local
dealer here in Tucson told me they have the lowest prices in the USA and so
lots of people will come here to buy them and take them home to install!
This may be a bit of hype (on the other hand, I was pretty much impressed
with this local dealer, and especially that they sent me a follow-up
questionnaire asking if I was happy with everything about the product--that
doesn't happen too often?!) In any case, I bought what I am pretty sure is
the basic length, about 10" (~25 cm) long, which works if you are
installing it near to the eaves of a pitched roof. As I said in the earlier
post, it cost me just over $300 including installation.

Katherine
Katherine Waser, Editor Tel: 520-621-8584
Arid Lands Information Center Fax: 520-621-3816
The University of Arizona E-mail: kwaser@ag.arizona.edu
1955 E. 6th St.
Tucson, AZ 85719-5224

  • Re:Solar Tubes, FranksFarm, 04/25/1998
    • Re:Sola Tubes, again, Katherine Waser, 04/30/1998