permaculture - Re: Poison Oak

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: LBCJMC <LBCJMC@aol.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Poison Oak
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 11:32:11 EST

Hi John,
I'm also new to permaculture and this list, but I am not a big fan of
chemicals. I did just buy a flame weeder, which I've been using and so far it
seems to work very well. Basically its just a small propane tank attached to
a wand and nozzle. You point the nozzle at the weed and blast it. The
intense heat ruptures the root system, killling it. I would only use it on a
widespread area after a rain, so you don't cause a fire. I don't really know
if this is in keeping with permaculture or not, but I had some huge prickly
weeds growing in the area I wanted to garden, and pulling them up wasn't
getting me anywhere. This flame weeder did the trick.
Lesley