permaculture - Re: Coconut as chicken feed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <rvraders@tpgi.com.au>
  • To: "pc discussion group" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>, <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • Subject: Re: Coconut as chicken feed
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:56:05 -0800

Marsha asked
> Does anyone know where I can find information about the use of coconut
> as a basic ingredient in a chicken system. They are abundant here, and
> are greatly appreciated by the hens. I am looking for nutritional
> information and help in calculating quantities ( number
> cocnuts/hen/year, etc.) Thanks for any links you can give me.

"What food is that, and how healthy is it?" by Jo Rogers...lists coconut as
220kJ per 15g of coconut meat. This 15g has zero protein, 1g of
carbohydrate, zero sodium, zero cholesterol, 5g of fat (87% saturated), 2g
of dietary fibre (cellulose). Eaten in large quantities it is a moderate
source of iron. Coconut milk is an excellent source of vitamin C and
contains natural sugars.

Not much, but hope it helps. Our chooks love coconuts too (but we have to
collect them from the coast.. not that easy, especially since most of the
local councils get the palms denutted to prevent them falling on any
tourists!)

Cheers Rene

  • Re: Coconut as chicken feed, Rene and Lorraine van Raders, 03/30/1998