permaculture - Re: Permaculture Internships - Australia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Fiona Campbell + Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: Scott Pittman <swrpi@igc.apc.org>
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture Internships - Australia
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 21:47:20 +1200

Scott Pitman wrote:

> I find it alarming that so few people seem to have considered the pedagogy
> of the permaculture design certification course. I think that the original
> course outline and the presentation of the material to have been brilliant.
> It worries me that so many graduates think that they have a better approach
> and in the process lose the immediacy and fire of the original curriculae.
> "If it isn't broke don't fix it!"

> It seems that everyone is coming up with "new and improved" curricula which
> I view with great suspicion - since the old has served us so well for so
> many years. <

Thanks for your informed comments Scott.

I don't view changes to the PDC with great suspicion if they adapt the
course to suit particular circumstances.I think this can be done without
diluting the PDC.

I don't see any problem, for example, with adapting the PDC so it better
suits application in large urban centres. We are currently adapting
material to suit rural Solomon Islands trainees working with our village
agriculture program for whom the material would otherwise be
incomprehensible.

I'm unsure whether one course can suit all circumstances. It's the same
with one style of delivery. Bill excells in presenting his format for a
course because he's a storyteller and because of the vast store of
experience and knowledge the man has.

There are other learning styles, however, which do not respond to Bill's
delivery. I have met people who have not responded so well to Bill's
courses. I have even heard of people leaving the course. What some
teachers do is to learn from contemporary learning research and present
materials in a variety of styles.

I guess this is all part of the evolution of permaculture. Now that Bill
and David, who developed the permaculture system of design, have passed
it onto the early adapters of the system I think we should expect an
expansion of teaching styles and, sooner or later, reworkings of
permaculture. Maybe the way we can judge them is to assess them with
permaculture's three ethics.

> I have heard of courses that leave out pattern because it is "too difficult
> to understand" - I rather think that the problem is that it is "so difficult
> to teach".

Yes, it is. Difficult but it opens people's eyes to patterns in nature
and to the fact that nature has already designed many of the solutions
we need.

--
PACIFIC EDGE PERMACULTURE
Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell

Phone 02-9588 6931 (IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
Fax 9514 2611 (Mark fax: ATTN: RUSS GRAYSON - APACE)
(IDD-61+2+9514 2611)
Email: pacedge@magna.com.au

Permaculture education, publishing, design.
NSW co-ordinator, Australian City Farms and Gardens Network.