permaculture - RE: Urban Permaculture (In Japan)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kenkichi Muramatsu" <ken@nexus-i.com>
  • To: <logank@mail.wind.co.jp>, <permaculture@listserv.unc.edu>, <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: RE: Urban Permaculture (In Japan)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:58:01 +0900

> This is our first post to this list, though we've been lurking for a
while, so first a little background on our situation: We are Ken and
Lisa Logan, and we are expatriates living in Japan. We've been here
for a few years, and dicovered permaculture about a year ago.
As a recent post said, our chances for learning permaculture in
Japan are almost nil, though I was happy to hear that Bill Mollison
will be coming here soon. I doubt we can make it to Tokyo to see
him, however. :(

I have been practicing so-called Nature Farming for more than 20
years. Currently, I am a staff of Nature Farming International
Research and Development Center (Non-Profit Japanese
Governmental Organization and Headquaters is located in
Atami-city, Shizuoka, Japan) and am building information
providing infrastructure by using Internetworking.

I have been studying Permaculture and recognized some
importance issues. I found that there are many similarities
between permaculture and Nature Farming. In fact, Mr.
Masanobu Fukuoka took many ideas from Mr. Mokichi Okada
who first started Nature Farming in 1935 and established
Nature Farming organization in Japan.

Nature Farming International Research and Development
Center has been studying the use of Effective Microorganisms
(So-called EM which was developed by Dr. Teruo Higa, Prof.
of Agriculture Dep. Ryukyu University in Okinawa) for more
than 15 years. Especially in Asia, many countries apply EM
to their farming and solve many problems. We will make the
updated report of EM in the meeting of IFOAM in Argentina.

Please let me know if any Permaculture event is planned in
Japan.

Regards,

Kenkichi Muramatsu
info@nexus-i.com