permaculture - Re: young Sweet potatoe leaves taste beautiful - don't waste it all as forage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: young Sweet potatoe leaves taste beautiful - don't waste it all as forage
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:18:40 +1100

why waste sweet potatoe leaves as forage Dan?
we eat them year round here - it is far more satisfying than beans and peas,
the chickens and snails usually let it alone when the chickens escape.
i never dig it up unless it gets in the way of other plants.
i have white, pink and purple varieties, they are easy to grow from the
stock in
fruit and vegetable shops.
my favourite recipe:
fry a few Spanish onions in olive oil, until clear (sweet)
add sliced mushrooms, sweet potatoe new leaves (these are the purple shoots)
and some grapefruit juice, put a lid on the pan and turn the heat down.
serve hot when steamed (5-10 min)
as for forage - it all boils down to whether the sweet potatoe leaf has inbuilt
toxins as do many greens,
we don't eat it much as a salad green because i haven't checked this out,
maybe someone on the list knows.
April

April Sampson-Kelly ADPA,BCA,MCA,GradSci,PDC
LC Permaculture Visions
leaders in permaculture learning by correspondence
askpv@ozemail.com.au
sampsms@ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
GOOD PLANETS ARE HARD TO FIND