permaculture - Re: getting plant material from NPGS

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Miekal And <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: getting plant material from NPGS
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 10:35:55 +0100

I wanted to follow up on Jack's response by quoting an answer I also
received from Joseph Postman from the Corvalis Repository. In answer to
my question he said,"You do not have to have any particular affiliation
to request plant
material. Although our primary 'customers' are plant breeders, both
public and private, we get many requests from nurseries, and private
individuals. We try to prioritize requests so that researchers get
first
access when plant material is limited - and we try to direct back-yard
growers to commercial sources. But much of the material we maintain is
not available elsewhere, and the wider it is distributed, the better the
chances that the germplasm will not be lost, and the more likely it is
that we will learn about new characteristics, adaptations or uses for
this plant material. All we ask is for information back about any
interesting or useful traits that are observed, or copies of research
publications with information that can be added to our data files."

& Ive been spending the last days scanning listing that include things
my hortus know not of. Im familiar with most of the seed companies Jack
mentions & Ive been a JH Hudson addict for a number of years. But I
still am kicking myself that I never found out about this sooner. For
instance Ive collected a lot of the fig varieties that are good for
container growing but confronting a list of 100s from around the world
opens up a different way of thinking of plant material.

& finally an annecdote. I was scanning the cranberry listings & lo &
behold I ran into a variety called "Rezin Native" from wisconsin, which
would be the variety from my grandparents bog in Cranmoor WI from around
the turn of the century as they were some of the first cranberry growers
in Wisc. Whoda thunk it.

Miekal
--
Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime