permaculture - Are natural plant products dangerous to our health?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Craig Lanoye <lanoye@together.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Are natural plant products dangerous to our health?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 23:25:43 +0000

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: David Kendra <dkendra@mr.net>
  • Subject: Natural Plant Products and Health Hazards
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 20:31:57 -0600
Several folks who publish to this newsgroup have implied that natural
plant products are not as environmentally damaging as man-made
chemicals. There is a large volume of research and field observations
that suggest otherwise. Below is just a small snippet of whats
available.

II. Outbreak_of_Phototoxic_Dermatitis_from_Limes_-_Maryland

On August 8, 1984, the Office of Disease Control and
Epidemiology, Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene,
was notified by a nurse at a day camp in Owings Mills, Maryland,
of a rash illness reported among 12 children during the previous
week. The rash, confined to the dorsa of the hands and extensor
and flexor surfaces of the forearms and in the form of blotches,
speckles, and streaks, was macular, hyperpigmented, and
nonpruritic. No other signs or symptoms were noted.
Dermatologists diagnosed the rash as a phototoxic contact
dermatitis. Investigation disclosed that limes used in an art
class to make pomander balls were incriminated as the cause of
the rash.

Reference source:
http://ace.orst.edu/cgi-bin/mfs/01/newsletters/n53_85.nws?126#mfs

Best regards,